1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

What % are you happy with?

Discussion in 'Wholesale and Trade' started by T D Sales, Feb 15, 2013.

1. TheDevil

TheDevil

200% on near enough everything, more in a lot of cases too ;)
  2. Bizi

Bizi

is it white & powdry stuff?
    ResellerLad, Anna357, Andy777 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jed

Jed

No :eek:
  4. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

No its a browny black little rock thing ;)
  5. Bizi

Bizi

Chocolate Peanuts? yummmm
  6. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

You and your sweets lol
  7. Stephanie dawn cerise

Stephanie dawn cerise

Rabbit poo.??????
    T D Sales likes this.
  8. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

is there 200% profit in rabbit poo, right wheres the rabbits i want some poo
  9. Bizi

Bizi

to be honest never came across that but u just killed my moment :(

sweets are what i live & work for :D

Jedi if you get a pizza delivery bike and deliver locally you might never get caught :p just an idea of an evil mind
  10. Stephanie dawn cerise

Stephanie dawn cerise

I live in the country so there is loads where I live, if there's a market i can become a wholesaler. ;)
    T D Sales likes this.
  11. Stephanie dawn cerise

Stephanie dawn cerise

Sory Bizi, just anwering the describing game question. ;)
  12. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

i try to double my money on most stuff. Not everything, but it also depends on sales. ie. electronics 10% but sales are high. I have 2,000 sets of taps which is a 150% mark up, but lucky to sell one a day. I'm a believer in selling at a profit not a quantity. I could reduce the prices on taps and sell more, but that would just mean same money for more work. Plus I deal in end of lines, so I'll probably never be able to get hold of more stock of the same item, so no point in selling out too quickly.
    Scorchio and Sc0tty like this.
  13. Ives

Ives

I'm trying to understand this. If I purchase items at £4 and sell them for £6, and after fees am left with £1, is that 25% profit? And is it not very smart to sell things for £1, even if you're just starting out and it's your first product? Should I be looking for something else?
  14. Gary

Gary

No, that's markup, if you make £1 profit on a £6 item you divide 1 by 6 to see your profit which would be approximately 16%
  15. Ives

Ives

I'm still confused. If I pay £4 for it and get £5, meaning I get back what I paid to purchase it, plus £1 to keep besides that, isn't that 25%? Or do I need to read about all this kind of stuff somewhere on the internet? I know nothing about this kind of thing!
  16. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

This is where i get a little confused, sometimes lol, especially on low price goods. If i have a item i buy for £4 and sell for £9 (no fees as not ebay) then my profit is £5, but what is this in % terms as it cant be more than 100% can it
  17. uniqbuy

uniqbuy

Net profit margin = (net income/revenue) x 100

So in above case =[ (9 - 4)/9] x 100
    55% ish
    T D Sales likes this.
  18. Pete

Pete

That is a Gross Profit of 20%. I've linked early in this thread to a thread that explains it all.

Gross Profit, profit before any expenses, is the what percentage of the Selling Price that is Profit. Gary has it right. You divide the smaller profit amount by the larger selling price.

You cannot know the Net Profit, until you know the expenses.

Accounting is simple:

Sales Price let's say 10

Product Cost (with shipping, etc. included) let's say 6

Gross Profit of 4 or 40% of the selling price

Operating Costs - selling fees, telephone, rent, whatever let's say 3

Net Profit (also called as Bottom Line) is 1 or 10% of selling price.

This is what is referred to as GAAP - Generally Accepted Accounting Practices. Use QuickBooks, online accounting, Sage, etc. This is how it's done.

Simple, Do not be misled. If you want to use figures that you can use when talking to others selling good, this is the language.

Keep in mind the web is full of misinformation.
  19. Andy777

Andy777

That would be your ROI - Return On Investment.

25% in your case.
  20. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

If you buy for £4 and:

sell for £6 with £1 profit, then you profit is (Profit/Total Sales) £1/£6 = 0.16 16%

Or, your return on investment (the amount you get back from what you originally invested (excluding other processing costs (ebay fees/ postage etc)))

Invest £4 and sell for £6, with £1 costs, gives you £5. So the return on investment is ((Total sales - Costs)- Original Investment)/Original Investment (£5-£4)/£4 = 0.25 25%

These are 2 different measures. Your profit margin (looks at the full picture) and your return on investment (only looks at the return from your original investment, ignores all other processing costs).