1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

What % are you happy with?

Discussion in 'Wholesale and Trade' started by T D Sales, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Ives

Ives

I think ROI is what I've been working out when I'm try and find things to sell. Am I looking at the wrong thing? I'm looking at the cost to buy, the price I can sell it for, subtracting fees, and what I'm left with is what I get to keep! The things I'm looking at all leave me with £1 after everything is taken out. I think I'm looking at the wrong things. But I wonder if, when starting out, it's better to just go for it and get £1 per sale, while I look for other things with better profit (is that even the right word?? I'm all confused now!)
  2. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Ives £1 profit is fine IF you have a lot of £1 profit items or are selling 50-100 per day or if its a part time job, If you are full time doing this, then id research new products with better profit potential and don't just rely on ebay, there are dozens of ways to sell, utilize them all.
  3. Ives

Ives

What are these dozens of ways to sell? I can only think of Ebay, Etsy and having my own website. Or I guess, a B&M shop.
  4. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Really, what about Freeads, Facebook, Amazon, Gumtree, SS, Market, Car Boot just to name a few.
  5. Pete

Pete

Generally, ROI is not a measure of singular sales. It is significant when dealing with inventory on the shelves, the shelves themselves, even the tape and tape gun if you bought them, the physical assets of your business. How much do you have invested totally in the business and what are you getting in return? Could you do better in stocks, the bank, gold, etc.

Forget the joys of trading, numerous as they are, given 1k, 10k, 100k, are you going to earn a high profit (return) one this business than some other investment. It's a long term, annual overview, not a transaction by transaction measurement.

Generally, looking at gross and net profits is done monthly and quarterly. ROI is usually given a serious look at the tend of the accounting year / tax time when the "official" annual cutoff has been done.
  6. Pete

Pete

Oh, where to begin?

You can hit the car boot / market stall circuit.

You can enlist others to sell for you on commission at home parties or their places of work.

You can become a source of goods for churches, schools, clubs that sell goods to support their programs.

You can wholesale, or even consign, goods to local merchants, pubs, bowling alleys, beauticians, etc.

The stork does not supply the pound shops and such. They buy somewhere and you may have something they can sell.
  7. Ives

Ives

Oh yeah, I never think of Amazon! I could do that one. And Facebook I use in my other business, will check the others too, thanks!
  8. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

I think a lot of people get the impression that they can just sit on the PC for 10 hours a day, tap away and earn £100 or whatever,and no doubt some can, good luck on you if you can do that, but sometimes actual steps have to be taken, like getting dressed, getting off the PC and out and about selling, so that said......................Wheres my trousers ;)
  9. Ives

Ives

I don't know if was maybe unclear, I didn't mean where can I sell things in general, I'm already selling my handmade goods on Etsy and Facebook, I meant where can I sell products I'd buy wholesale, from China, etc. Probably a lot of things you'd sell on Ebay, you could also sell on Amazon? Where can I find out their fees, etc?
  10. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Yeah but you can sell anything almost anywhere, it does not matter if its handmade or from china or from costco, you can sell where you like. Just saying ebay is not the only option
  11. eAuction

eAuction

Mine is a bit different because I sell services rather than products. I try to work to £50 an hour.
  12. Dirk Struan

Dirk Struan

I have been using ROI after shrinkage to select which lines to keep running.

On this measure I have been making 30-100%.
  13. kyle6uk

kyle6uk

100%-400% for my main products. Don't hate :p
    Ems chocs likes this.
  14. Pete

Pete

You can't make over 100% gross profit and that would be by picking up stones, sand or wood for free and selling it. If you have any cost at all for the goods, you cannot make 100% profit. The only way you might make more than 100% is if someone pays you to haul it off and you sell it.
  15. DarrenSpeed

DarrenSpeed

I think they are on about ROI, not gross profit
    kyle6uk likes this.
  16. Gary

Gary

Although the thread originated about profit, but yes, I would safely assume that many are referring to ROI
  17. andrew page

andrew page

yup if im not tripling my investment im pretty much not interested
  18. kyle6uk

kyle6uk

It's funny you should say that, I sell beautiful stones decorated with sand presented in a wooden box ;)

But yeah I meant ROI.
  19. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Thanks for the tip, you now have competition haha ;)
    kyle6uk likes this.
  20. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Which must mean you deal in low-mid value items as buying for £1 and selling for £3-£4 is achievable as is buying for £10 and selling for £30-£40 but i cant see you buying many £50-£10 items and tripling on them.