Announcement What Change Would You like To See On The Forums?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Cody, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody

Cody

With a New Year upon us it means time for a new change, a fresh start into the right direction.

Since my arrival I have been focusing on bringing in traffic, creating blog articles, getting others to guest blog for us (we've had a lot), focusing on our SEO, bringing back previous/ older members and in general raising the awareness of The Wholesale Forums.

We have so much content, years and years of incredibly useful content and of course this is down to all of you (our members) that have dedicated their time to building and growing within this community, and despite any issues that should stay in the past, we are still focusing on and dedicated to ensuring that we are the place to come to.

I would like to let everyone know, if you don't already of some of the changes both @Erik and I have brought to the forums.

1) There were previous requests for signature changes to our advertisers - you can view the thread about the changes here. Thanks again to @ebafy for recommending this change. This is in affect.

2) We now have new member groups with promotions. You can view that here. Over time of course, with more members joining, and previous returning this section will become increasingly busier.

3) We updated the avatar/ profile banners. They now look crisper and cleaner. You can too find that in the link above (or here).

4) Some advertisers requested that we should showcase some of their products from the marketplace in a newsletter.
    We have currently been running this for quite some time now. See image attached of an example Marketplace newsletter. We hope this has helped drive some awareness of sales.

5) We also promote the stock via our social media Twitter account dedicated solely to our marketplace to help boost promotion of sales for our advertisers. See here.

6) We have a bigger budget to work with during 2017, and are looking to really get this community back to where it used to be. Perhaps setting up a networking event/ meet-up could be an idea? This would be sure to strengthen relationships/ friendships, and allow us to network on a more personal level.

Please let us know of any ideas, changes and recommendations you would like to see on The Wholesale Forums.

@Erik @Jenilee and I will be sure to discuss all with Helen, and aim to achieve what is possible.

Plenty of changes have been made, and I will be ensuring that for the good of the community (and business) we make the right choices on moving forward.

I would like to point also, that in order for the community to grow and become busier like the old days we do need you (our members) to participate, engage, share and network. There is only so much we can do as the TWF Staff.

As usual please let us know your thoughts and let's get this community back to an even higher standard than before.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Import Expert and Erik like this.
  2. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

when i used to visit the forums there would be a good 2 pages of members looking for stock within the stock wanted section. Now it's virtually 1-2 posts a day and to me thats a sign of lack of actual potential new members looking for stock which is pretty much how this site makes money, ie from members signing up to the market place. I for one, and others going on some previous posts have seen the decline from what this site used to be and were very much considering signing back up for membership but at the same time slightly put off by the lack of contribution from new members and those actually looking for stock yet the price of membership is still the same and there is no evidence that traffic has increased due to the lack of threads and replies within sections of the forums . Ofcourse in theory membership isn't a great deal as 1-2 sales could return the investment in paying for membership within the marketplace but i still don't see any change in the site in terms of traffic that make me want to consider re-applying for marketplace membership. There may be an positive shift in traffic as in who comes through the site but not in contribution and new members signing up. Out of all the new members signing up very few if any add to any threads made or are looking for stock within the forums. Some may be on here to see what the site is all about and also consider signing up. I don't have the figures on how many sellers you have on here but going on a couple of categories within the market place i see no more than 5-6 regular sellers. When i signed up you would see probably triple that.

Not really sure how to get people back but i for one continue to view the place, although not as regularly as I would like but often don't see many replies to any posts created so think whats the point in making more. I do it more as a way of creating conversation but when the site even lacks that then there's something wrong when it's supposed to be a forum. Without keep repeating and going back on the past I would often come on here after week in the evenings and spend a good hour reading through new posts and viewing new stock but now come on maybe once a week and i'll be on for no more than 5 minutes so that pretty much says everything.

In terms of suggestions not really to sure on the changes that could be made but maybe give some kind of incentives the more a member contribute in a constructive way to the site. For example possibly a percentage off membership fees if signing up as a seller if X amount of posts are made over a certain period of time. Possibly a banner advertising a members website if X amount of posts are reached within the forums or if a memberis regarded as renowned, and not by just saying hello to every new member that signs up to the site. I'm just thinking of ways that get people back talking on the forums and involved in contributing to discussions as that for me was what made this site and kept me hooked and from there i went onto paying for marketplace membership.
    Cody and beacon hill like this.
  3. beacon hill

beacon hill

Would be nice to see more of the regular advertisers joining in with conversations / offering advice
    instead of just posting offers. I still see some advertisers who get tagged when a question about stock not reply.

Showing new members there is actually a person behind the advertiser would give them more
    confidence to buy and help fill the forum with useful content
    Cody likes this.
  4. Cody

Cody

@Dave Casuals

Thanks for the feedback.

The issue is as you said, no one is contributing. We have been getting much more traffic, member sign ups, advertising sign ups, banner sales, referrals from our social media have gone up, so I can say that is growing. However, it is the lack of contribution that is affecting the forums. At times people come on here to just browse, rather than comment. Even at that it is say a very generic comment or post.

In terms of advertisers on here, we have a few hundred (however not as active, though they do come on).

The banner is a great idea, and perhaps something we could look at doing. @Erik and I will discuss this today and get back to you all with an idea.

@beacon hill I totally agree, ensuring the advertisers reply to tagged questions would be great to have. Nothing much we can do our end really with that, apart from installing into everyone the importance of building and maintaining relationships.

We are looking at bringing in a feedback option (which has been suggested to us recently).
  5. psxgamer

psxgamer

As mentionned above. In the past I loved to sign in to TWF and go through all new posts. Could spend more than an hour going through all new posts.

Now I'be been struck by the same virus al others. Mostly out in 5 minutes because there are hardly an new posts. Some days I no longer come to check at all. Copletely loosing my interest.

There are only a few of the long term members present. New and interesting posts I see are mostly from the moderators, Cody, ... hardly any from the members.

Though I think the SS merger was only part of it. I see the same on the other forums I visit. A lot less activity then there used to be. Most of them are on Facebook now. Time I used to spend on a few game forums I now spend on Facebook where I was hardly using that in the past.
    Cody likes this.
  6. Jed

Jed

More trophies! Seriously the last one I got was in 2014!

Let's have a trophy at 2,500, 5,000, 10,000, 25,000 (this one is for @Andy777 to aim for) posts. I know very few people will get there but everyone loves the challenge of climbing a ladder, I remember I did back in the day.

So many other things trophies could be awarded for but I certainly think it will bring an element of challenge and fun back.

upload_2017-1-15_15-1-29.png
    Import Expert and Cody like this.
  7. Cody

Cody

If anyone has an ideas for what trophies they'd like to see let us know so we can discuss! Thanks :D
  8. Jewellery Wholesaler

Jewellery Wholesaler

We have applied for advertising membership but have yet to receive a reply from Jenilee. We are keen to contribute to the forums!
  9. Erik

Erik

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for bringing that up. We'll alert Jenilee so she could attend to it immediately.

All the best!
  10. Jewellery Wholesaler

Jewellery Wholesaler

Thank you Erik
  11. Jenilee

Jenilee

Hi Kelly,

I've sent you an email last January 13, regarding your application and resent it today. Please respond so we can process the account immediately.
  12. Jewellery Wholesaler

Jewellery Wholesaler

Hi Jenilee

Thank you for your email which was only received this afternoon (nothing received on Friday 13th). I have paid for an annual membership and look forward to having our membership activated.

Many thanks
  13. liamhawes

liamhawes

I've absolutely no idea how it could be coded in but perhaps a trophy for creating threads that get at least x amount of comments from other members, or likes etc, something like this to increase engagement is what I'm thinking.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a traditional trophy, possibly every time a thread gets over 5/10 comments (not including their own) they could get say 1 or 2 trophy points. This may make people start more threads on interesting topics.

Could even be a completely different counter, so instead of trophy, be like an engagement counter. But call it something far cooler :p

I'm just throwing out some ideas, I figure the key aim is to increase engagement here.
    Jed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.