What do you think about proximity marketing?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by multibrands, Mar 9, 2012.

1. multibrands

multibrands

Hello,
    All TWF Members,

Guys recently I came accross new kind of marketing, called 'Proximity Marketing'. Wireless distribution of advertising content associated with a particular place. also known as Bluetooth Marketing. Here is the link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_marketing

I was thinking, how good this marketing is? This kind of advertising only target particular area, could it be realy helpful?

Kindly post your views on it.

Cheers:)!
  2. consultant

consultant

When it works, it can be quite good, however, if your bluetooth is not switched on, no message is delivered.

Also remember that this may be considered as intrusive and unsolicited communication!

Where it might work best is at a targeted audience, who are prewarned/advised of its use and benefots.
  3. multibrands

multibrands

Hey paul,
    Thanks for view, but a small question, is this like userinterface for bluetooth? when we switch it on, Ad will display, like that? Or we need permite this Ad to display?
    Cheers!:)
  4. Pete

Pete

You can rest assured I'd never buy anything from you, ever.
  5. mickeyblueeyes

mickeyblueeyes

Works well in some scenarios, many people hate it with a vengance.

I've known some nightclubs do this, but you still need plenty of traditional marketing to make people aware to check their bluetooth etc.

Have to admit I "accidently" transmitted a FREE BEER bluetooth ad on April 1st near my local, they were stacked out that day with loads of arguments going on at the bar. :D
    multibrands likes this.
  6. buynsell

buynsell

This can be done by sms also without knowing the sms number. I'm not sure as to how legal it is in the UK but I have seen it in operation and understand how it works. There is no sms cost to the advertiser or the end user. The target area is setup in terms of distance to the base station so for example you could have a promotion on in a bar and can set it to send an sms to any phones that enter the pre defined zone.

On a different note I have a niche customer database for sale and was wondering what would be the best section to give some details ?

New here and finding it very interesting indeed.

Very interesting forum.
  7. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi buynsell,

Welcome to TWF :)

I am not entirely sure about the legal implications of selling a customer database but nonetheless, you would need an advertising membership to sell or promote any products/services in the community: http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/blog/advertise/
  8. buynsell

buynsell

Thanks I will keep that in mind.
  9. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

shopping centres USED to use this method of advertising, most don't anymore - there's a reason for it

Everyone gets annoyed by them as it like unsolicited mail