What is SEO?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by night rider, Nov 30, 2012.

1. night rider

night rider

hi every one.
    i want to know what is s.e.o when we are talking about website.as i read many posts of andy and he lays too much stress on the importance of seo.as its the most important thing that u wana have in ur website.
    so can please someone explaind what it is.and how one can use it individually to its best.
    i hope i explained my question properly.
    hoping to get detailed information on this subject.thanks
  2. Erik

Erik

Hi,

Simply put, SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a method used to increase your website's chances on getting to the top lists of search engines such as google and bing. Being on the top list means that you get to the first page of the search results.

It is a vital thing for some websites as study shows that internet users go for websites on the first page of the search results. This means better visibility for your business and a larger chance of drawing customers in.

The challenge here is to choose the correct "keywords" or the words that internet users use to search for a certain business. As an example, if you search for "Clothing", search engines will show results depending on the word you searched for. Those keywords are goals of each website. The more keywords that you get to be on the top, the better.

Of course not all SEO methods are legal. Some have illegal ways to do SEO and this could lead to a permanent ban on your website from being available in search engines. So when searching for SEO service, ask around and check if the methods they use are legal or not.

There would be a lot more explanation regarding SEO but hope mine helps.

Erik
  3. jiau

jiau

Simply put, seo can make a website in a good rank.
  4. night rider

night rider

i want to know about methods aswell.that i can use myself to make best of it
  5. Andy777

Andy777

I have never said that! ;)

SEO is NOT the most important aspect of your website. Products, prices, shop's look/layout/navigation are far more important to your customers.

But if we talk about traffic generation via search engines, you simply can't ignore basic SEO rules.

Lastly, there are no real secrets (keyword density etc. - thing of a past, no one can give proof for that anyway). What you need to do is 3 things:

1) Get your on page elements right (stuff I cover in my thread)
    2) Publish high quality, unique, interesting and valuable content
    3) Let people know about your website, content you publish

That's all there is really.
  6. eAuction

eAuction

It's a bit of a catch 22 really, with no one on your site it can be the best priced and best looking site ever but no one would find it on page 3 of Google. On the other hand, you could have a website on page 1 for your keyword but with an awful design and non-competitive prices you will equally struggle for sales.
    thec00kchris likes this.
  7. Gary

Gary

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that, spot on!
    eAuction likes this.
  8. Andy777

Andy777

If your products, prices, website etc. is perfect, you can still advertise it via PPC, local ads or any other advertising channels and you'll make money even without SEO.

But if your website is terrible, nothing will help you make those sales, even SEO.
  9. eAuction

eAuction

True, but why would anyone in their right mind ignore some basic SEO practices (which cost nothing or very little) and go straight to PPC (which can perform very poorly in many industries, and can be a huge money pit). I'd link to think anyone that can set up a PPC campaign could also do some basic SEO.
  10. Andy777

Andy777

lol, I'm not saying that SEO is not important (far from it).

What I'm saying is that SEO is NOT the most important thing in eCommerce as you can still make money without it (while you can't if everything else is miserable).

Of course, we should do both and that's the only way to create a real, sustainable online shop (nothing beats that steady, FREE, traffic from Google).
    eAuction likes this.
  11. toysandgifts

toysandgifts Banned Member

What does PPC stand for?
  12. Andy777

Andy777

13. Wholesale-Help

Wholesale-Help

I don't thinks its a catch 22, yes you need at least basic SEO implemented on your site, silly not to as its relatively simple and costs nothing but if you have an ugly website with expensive products then your screwed either way.

So the key here is to build a nice looking site first with quality competitive products then you can use the SEO to build the traffic.

SEO used to be a big deal a few years back but many marketers were using black hat methods to game the system and get loads of traffic. Now the trend is less focused on SEO strategies and more on good quality and regular content.

SEO will always have a place as you need to tell Google exactly what your site is about and what you have for sale but the advanced SEO techniques are becoming less and less effective. Get the basics right and concentrate on building a great site with great products. Use social media, get involved in your niche community and your visibility will grow with your experience. It doesn't happen overnight but it will happen.
  14. ryansmith

ryansmith

Seo stands for Search engine Optimization is the process for increasing the visibility or scope of a website regarding various search engines like Yahoo, Bing, Google etc.
  15. TimG

TimG

Recently Google have changed their policies and it has become more and more necessary to do quality SEO and whatever you do, DO NOT sign up for any kind of free or cheap SEO unless you completely trust the seller, whilst it may have worked a few years back, now if anything it will reduce your sites SERP (Search Engine Ranking Position) and could potentially do damage to your chances or high ranking on the big G.