1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

What Is The Best Shipping Company You Can Use In The Uk?

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by tighergod, Jan 20, 2017.

1. tighergod

tighergod

What is the best shipping company you can use in the UK? I know Royal Mail, but is there any other cheaper than royal mail?
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert

Depends on the size of the shipment, there are other couriers out there such as UPS, DPD, DHL, etc. For larger shipments of around a pallet upwards you should use a freight forwarder such as ourselves.
  3. megadanny1

megadanny1

I think the cheapest you'll find is Yodel or Hermes who are the direct competition to Royal Mail, However don't consider price when finding "the best" courier. It's very nice to be using the cheapest supplier but when you find packages thrown over gates, or left on doorsteps to be stolen suddenly you'll have the expense of refunding/replacing customers. And possibly negative feedback if you're an ebay/amazon seller.

If your sending 10s/100s a day getting a trade account with any courier provider/Royal mail is going to be cheaper than the rates published for consumers.

Hermes: Cheaper than Royal Mail *I think, pays drivers per successful delivery around 50p a parcel using the own car/fuel. This obviously leads to items being put in "safe places", When I helped delivered them we always put them in gas cupboards/sheds and the like. But some drivers do not select appropriate locations

Yodel: Much the same as Hermes, Has grown very rapidly perhaps more so than Hermes so there are some teething troubles. Drivers pay arrangements I believe are similar to Hermes leading to much the same quality issues. I think the pricing is similar to Hermes.
    [​IMG]
    UPS/Parcelforce
    £11.99ish through interparcel for 30KG. Cheaper if you're able to drop off at a pick up point of some kind (Post office for parcelforce)
    Used without any problems, Parcels arrive on time. no damage, Signatures always obtained properly.

DPD, Only ever received stuff this provider but never had a problem, Good established network.

Pallets: Pallex Palletways, palletforce et al. £50-£60 nationwide pallet service. Never used them but I'm sure quality isn't too much of an issue (It's harder to lose a whole pallet)

Out of country: Use a freight forwarder of some kind for large items as Import Export suggests, I use Royal Mail for small international items, but DHL, parcelforce, DPD all have international options for larger/more expensive items.

Interparcel has always served me well for comparing prices of multiple courier companies, customer service from them isn't too terrible either. not that i've ever tried getting lost item compensation though!
  4. beacon hill

beacon hill

"UPS/Parcelforce
    £11.99ish through interparcel"

The same through despatch bay for parcelforce costs £6.97 + vat for 24hr service, dropped off at post office (across the road for me)
  5. megadanny1

megadanny1

Oh wow that's good, I haven't heard of dispatchbay before but I'm checking them out now- Thanks
  6. Cody

Cody

Wow! I've seen Yodel put parcels in the strangest places, but that is just a first!
  7. Cody

Cody

I'm not sure of their charges, however perhaps take a look at @Parcelhub.co.uk for options too.