What is the best way to promote my website and get sales?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Gray123, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Gray123

Gray123

Hi,

I was looking to create a website selling shamballa bracelets and other acessories, but I am clueless with seo and getting people to my site. What is the best way of promoting the website/ ranking high in Google and driving people to the site? I have heard alot about people wasting alot of money with "seo experts" and not seeing the results.

Really I would like to create a few niche websites, for example,electric toothbrush heads. But the hardest part is getting people to the websites!

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. PrestonBros

PrestonBros Banned Member

Most important aspects are indeed exposure and the quality of the site. Do you have a site link we can see?
  3. Gray123

Gray123

I do not have a website at the moment. But a website I did see, for example, http://www.ukshamballajewels.co.uk/collections/shamballa-sale. It says they are using ecommerce software from shopify so I guess they have created the website themselves rather than hire a company to do it? However somehow they are top of the google rankings...

Thanks
  4. redspell

redspell Banned Member

You need to tread very carefully these days when hiring people to do SEO work on your behalf due to the recent and seemingly very regular changes to the Google algorithms.

I have seen quite a few SEO blog articles that suggest that not doing any SEO these days is the best SEO for your website.

In short, 'On Site SEO' would seem more important these days. So fresh, unique and well formatted content with an easy to navigate website that includes Social Media integration or 'sharing' would be the best start along with some slow but steady (natural) backlinking with and without keyworded anchor text from trustworthy sites to help build your ranking.
    Wizard and PrestonDesigns like this.
  5. Dean

Dean

You're making it 'harder' by choosing something that every man and his dog are selling at the moment. The vast number of other sellers/websites makes your job of making your website seen at all, let alone stand out from the rest, much harder.
  6. Gary

Gary

One of my websites is testimony to that, it is number one in google (and has been for months), for it's primary chosen keyword out of nearly a million results (albeit it's not the main searched keyword), for the highest searched keyword for that niche which gets 1,000,000 searches a month (according to google), my site is number 22 out of over 62,000,000 results, which obviously could be better as it would be ideal to be on the first page, but it's not bad for a pretty young website (registered in March of this year), with no real SEO work done other than a few links here and there (my blog, facebook, google+, a forum and another of my sites and submitted the sitemap to google), obviously the site has been shared by certain site visitors, etc. of their own accord but it has all been natural.
  7. redspell

redspell Banned Member

From what I have seen Gary, you have decent quantity and quality content on your websites and not just a handful of keywords stuffed onto a page which is something Google likes.

I saw an infographic a while back (just after the Penguin update) showing how website pages with just a couple hundred words on them fare a lot worse in the search results than web pages with 1000+ words.
    Gary likes this.
  8. eAuction

eAuction

I wouldn't say doing no SEO at all is a good thing.

If it's a choice between poor SEO services (like those on TWF!) or no SEO, then I'd go with none, but a reputable SEO company really will get you huge benefits.

You don't build backlinks, you earn them.
  9. Gray123

Gray123

So its more important to make sure page titles contain key words, and thy meta tags are used etc? And integrated with a facebook/ twitter page? How long does it take a page to get anywhere reasonable in the google rankings? Is adwords worth it?

Many thanks
  10. Bubsa

Bubsa

Could you provide a few links for these? Always up for a quick laugh.
  11. redspell

redspell Banned Member

12. Bubsa

Bubsa

Ah, I could smell that Forbes link-bait article coming from a mile-off!
  13. redspell

redspell Banned Member

Looking at the comments it seemed to have caused a bit of a stir at the time of publication. ;)