What is the simplest way to get website traffic?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Tom Cole, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Hi

I have run an ebay buisness for a few years now and have recently setup an Ecommerce store stocking the same items as ebay. At the moment the website is barely even listed on google let along getting good rankings.

I send out around 50 items a day from ebay and was thinking of including advertisements in these leaflets to kick of some sales as it where.

In terms of other advertising and SEO what is the simplest (ive never done anything like this before) way to get some visitors to the site? Ive read allot of SEO guides and posts but it all seems quite complicated and would really appreciate a way to start from the beggining.

I whole heatedly appreciate any help, Thank you
  2. psxgamer

psxgamer

I would definately add a business card/flyer to each Ebayorder with a discount code.

When I launched my website a few months back I collected all emailaddresses from the Ebaysales of the last few months and I sent these customers 1 message to promote my website. Strickly people have to sign up before you can start send sending messages. I you do it just once it should be OK. I clearly mentionned this was a 1 time message and that people would have to sign up to the newsletter on the website to receive further messages. I effectively kept it with one message. Now I just add a card with a discount code to the order.

I don't know about Gumtree or others sites. In my country we have a very popular site lots of traffic where you can list for free + add a link to your listings. I have a whole bunch of lsitings on this site. It generates +- 50% of the traffic to my site and it's completely free.

You could try Google addwords. I've tried it, but it didn't work out for me.

It takes a few weeks before your site gets indexed by Google from then on - if you do it correctly - your visibility on Google should increase.

You can always read this:
    http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/threads/some-seo-tips-for-open-cart.153127/

Is written specially for OpenCart, but some of the tips will be helpful no matter which shopping cart you use.
  3. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Hi

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated. In terms of the flyers in the packages what would you say your success was with that? Like if you sent out 100 leaflets in your parcels how many orders came through using those discount codes? Just trying to gauge how many sales i can expect if i leafleted all my sales, Thanks again
  4. psxgamer

psxgamer

Don't really have an answer on that really.

Everywhere where I advertise I use the same discount code. Never really thought to use different code for the different place where I advertise. I've put a banner with this discount code "10% discount on your first order" on the homepage of my website. A lot of people don't even use the code.

I do know some of my returning Ebay customers now buy through the website instead of Ebay. Others just keep using Ebay.
  5. planner

planner

Tom, am no expert in these things. But if you have just started your website then it will take time. Put leaflets in your orders. Improve your SEO with good content. Join Facebook & Twitter etc.
  6. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Thanks again to both of you, so in terms of just getting a ranking in google how do I go about it? Because i have searched a keyword that i have in my websites meta title and meta tag but even after 30 pages of Google I still cant see my site. Any suggestion? :)
  7. planner

planner

8. psxgamer

psxgamer

First search the name of your site in Google to see where it shows up. I you can't find it, your site still needs to be indexed and none of your pages will show in Google.

This takes a few weeks. I'm no expert in SEO either. I do know it takes time. It took 2 weeks before I found my own site in Google. Everytime the spiders stopped by I got a bit higher in the results. At first only when searching the name of my shop, now I see the same thing happening when I google the name of my products.
  9. redspell

redspell Banned Member

If you haven't already then get an XML sitemap of your website pages.

Then create a Google Webmaster Tools account and submit your site map to Google. This gives Google a list of all your pages which saves it time trying to find them and usually will help get them listed quicker.

You should also do similar with the other search engines like Bing etc.
  10. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Thanks everyone! I think ive got my next week or so work sorted out! Will give all the suggestion here a go, here is to hoping i can scape a few sales together! Cheers guys :)
  11. planner

planner

Best of luck.;)
  12. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Hi

I have submitted my sitemap to google webmaster tools and signed up for google analytics. One question i have about my site link names.

At the moment my products are laid out like this: ********************************************* and oviously when someone searches something they will search the name of the item not my product code, I can also in my settings change the 'product-p' to my product title. So would it be worth it in terms of SEO to change my product title to *******************************************************

Sorry if i didn't explain it well, really appreciate any help. Thank you
  13. Airsoft4You

Airsoft4You

What software are you using for you online store?
  14. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

HI, im using volusion :)
  15. Airsoft4You

Airsoft4You

I'm not sure but at least in most of the eccomerce software I have used somewhere in settings there is something that allows friendly URLs which should make you URL nice and readable. it might be an option when adding a new product

Toby
  16. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

HI yes it does have that option and i have used it (it uses - instead of _) but i was wondering about the inclusion of the product titles into the URL
  17. Airsoft4You

Airsoft4You

yeah you can do that, Does it let you enter in a friendly url or does it do it automatically?

Kind Regards

Toby
  18. Tom Cole

Tom Cole

Um it just adds the '-' where there was '_' But i can change the 'products-p' to whatever i want, so was wondering whether to change it to the product name to try and get more results as the searched term would be in the actual URL
  19. Airsoft4You

Airsoft4You

yeah if you put the product name that is good, but I would advise not to repeat the same word in the url so for example don't put you company name in all of the urls as google sees this as spam words I believe if repeated a millions times. I am not 100% sure but this is what I have read.I will try to dig out the article I read.

Kind Regards

Toby
  20. beacon hill

beacon hill

My reviews website (wordpress blog) helped improve website traffic for me

Just takes a few minutes each day to add a couple of articles