What's the deal with affiliate marketing?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by ballymoremonty, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

I know what affiliate marketing entails, everywhere I see lately it's popping up. I came home one evening last week and my missus was raving about a guru called Michael Brown. I read Clumsycol's post with interest and thought after that, I shot down her idea of buying into this guys guide (Browns), too quickly.

I seen a few more posts today on it and an article popped up on our facebook newsfeed from TWF.

It just doesn't do it for me, I don't know why. To me it seems too much effort to end up with something of little substance? If I was working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day like the guy in the article this morning, I'd prefer to put that effort into building a brand that belonged to me instead of building my business around someone else's.

Maybe I'm been a bit old fashioned here, I don't know what's your opinion?
  2. Oliver

Oliver

At the end of the day people will look at it from this perspective - which earns more and which can be done on minimal setup and provide really good revenue on a regular basis. Just personal preference I feel, and why not do your own business and some time on affiliate marketing?
  3. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

Is it worth buying the likes of Michael Browns product do you think?

4. wroberts

wroberts

Do you have any links/more info on the product? :)
  5. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

I have never bought anyones systems, products, services or anything. I just started a blog after Christmas gone and learned as I went along. I eventually found the big paying sellers and now rake in between £300 and £600 on a daily basis for less than 60 minutes work a day.

If it lasts then hey, I have hit the big time, if it fizzles out then so be it, I will get as much cash from it while I can and then move on to the next thing with a little bit tinkering, mainly just trial and error to see what the punters want.
  6. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

That is some return for 60 minutes work a day! This is the product she's looking at http://www.nicheblitzkrieg.net/.

I don't know what makes me so apprehensive about it. Probably because, after I finished up in Construction, I trawled through more crap on the
    internet and very nearly got burned a few times.

7. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

The way I work is unique, totally unlike any other affiliate marketing out there. I created it myself and it certainly works.

I imagine the one you linked to will be about creating hundreds of mini blogs each one targeted to a different product, service, digital download, etc. They then show you how to get them ranked in Google (basic SEO really), but I imagine they will try and get you to sign up to some kind of marketing blaster that costs you on a monthly basis, etc.

I am not saying that these do not work, because they clearly do and each blog you create could earn anything from 1p per month up to hundreds per month, maybe thousands if you get the right product and get some good keywords on it.

But overall like anything to do with the internet. It is all about getting the blogs you have created noticed and get traffic on them. Without traffic you can not get sales, so the key is to get some content on them, make it quality, then get them monetised, then focus all your efforts into SEO and marketing so you can start to see some returns for your efforts. This kind of affiliate marketing takes a lot of hard work. unlike my methods where I work less than an hour a day, but my methods need to be done daily to keep my revenue coming. The other methods used by the gurus seem to be focused on getting the blogs, created, monetise and then market, once the SEo has been done then tend to let Google take over and let natural traffic take it's course.

Then of course you have other forms of marketing like video, social networking and other forms of network marketing. It all adds up and takes time but if you combine it all you will be on to a winner.

I have found an overnight success with my methods, but for 99% of people it is a long slog to get things right. I mean, how long do you think it would take to create 100 blogs, then monetise them all and then do SEO for each one? That will take a long time, and once you have finished the SEO for the last blog you have to do it all over again and go back to the first one as it is an on going process.

So really you have to stick in to it and be dedicated, do not expect any real results for the first 3 months at least. It could take the best part of a year before you start to earn a real income. For the first few months i was earning a couple of quid a day, then after 4 months I started to see £5 a day and now I have switched my marketing ideas I have found the jewel in the crown and basically hit the jackpot for extremely little work.

But that will not come to everyone, you have to expect it to be the long slog for 99% of people and to earn a modest income.
  8. Pete

Pete

One thing to consider with affiliate sales, you do not end up with a customer. Depending on the deal you may, or may not, get commission on future sales. You are giving the person you are working for a lifetime customer (possibly) and you are settling for a one time payment.
  9. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

As Pete says, that is why the key is to get traffic, because you never get repeat custom. All your income will come from passing traffic, one hit wonders. They may bookmakr your page and buy later, but once the sale is done you are done with that customer for that product, unless you have some form of info capture on your blogs and you can market other products at them.
  10. Andy777

Andy777

I have all of his products I think and they provide great value for money. George is a good example of what can be achieved online these days in relatively short period of time.

BUT the problem with George's products (Google Sniper) is that he sells an outdated idea really - system worked very well few years ago and I even believe he did use it to make money. The problem is that it doesn't work that well these days and won't work at all in few years time.

I wouldn't want to build my business on a model that won't work in 2-3 years time.

Anyway, I take many good ideas out of every single info product I purchase and George's products are def. well worth buying if you're willing to learn, adapt and use those ideas.
  11. nwhitmore

nwhitmore

George Brown's product is pretty good - when it came out it was pretty revolutionary, people made a lot of money from it following it word for word. As more people bought it, the more saturated Google became with "Sniper sites". Clickbank is a finite resource, so most of the products being peddled ended up becoming quite competitive, many people overlapped using the same keywords, the system started to slow. Now, thanks to Google's Panda update, many people have felt the effects pretty hard with a dramatic decline in organic traffic.

I've been into affiliate marketing for a while, I was impatient at first but good things come to those who wait. I saw Brown's guide and used aspects of what I read - I also used aspects of other guides too. The problem with affiliate marketing is people want results instantly - they also wany everything on a plate for them. It's kind of understandable - Brown's guide is the best part of $50 I think, so I'd want to see a return on that ASAP if I was new to affiliate marketing too.

The key to affiliate marketing as Andy says is to read more than one guide and gather together some techniques that work best for you. Affiliate marketing is all about trial and error. I don't think it's fair to say Brown's system won't work in 2-3 years time, because it will. It might not be as easy to get the system to work, but it will work. You might need to do extra work on the side, but in essence the core of the system will work.

Don't get into affiliate marketing if you're not patient. Don't spend loads of money on guides either - get one or two well rated ones, learn something, put it into practise - make a little cash, then maybe invest in some more guides.

My affiliate marketing sites cover a range of niches, the most established pulls in upwards of 500 hits daily, with newer sites pulling in direct hits thanks to the keyword rich domains. Affiliate marketing isn't as easy as the pros make it seem.. and if you give it a try don't go giving up too easily.
  12. triphead

triphead

what is the best place tp browse or find affiliates? i know about click bank but are there any more.
    also do you guys think it best ti try the product your marketing before you start to advertise it ??
  13. Andy777

Andy777

You don't want to browse for affiliates but for affiliate programs :)

Most of online retailers these days have an affiliate program - so you can check any online retailer website and try to find link to their affiliate program (usually it's in footer section and call "Affiliate program", "Affiliates", "Partners" or "webmasters earn money").

With that being said, there are affiliate networks too, some of most popular are:

http://www.cj.com/
    http://www.affiliatefuture.com/home.asp
    http://www.tradedoubler.com/
    http://www.affiliatewindow.com/

There are hundreds more!
  14. Genite

Genite

Affiliate marketing is the best way to promote and market your business.
  15. 0754ben84

0754ben84

True! An army of affilliates is the best way to get your product to the wider Market in the quickest way possible.
  16. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

I don't pretend to understand the affiliate marketing which just seems to entail selling financial/marketing products at low prices and then hitting affiliates for higher and higher priced products. I know someone who makes a decent living out of it but it all seems to go above my head. I use affiliate marketing schemes as a great way to fill websites with product, for example properties, this gives credibility and fleshes out an information site which makes it attractive to those visiting it.
    The real winners, of course, are the companies who own the properties as the cookies usually last about 30 days and then that customer is lost to you. One thing I have learned to be very wary of is the capriciousness of the suppliers who on a whim can cancel or alter their programmes to your detriment. I have read that many companies are putting extra effort into their programmes in 2013. Offering longer cookie periods, higher commission rates etc.
    It still doesn't alter the fact that you are doing the majority of the work for a pittance.
    Tip - If you have a list of businesses from a set affiliate programme, keep a sharp ear or eye out for disgruntled customers/change of ownership and new owner no longer being part of the programme you are enrolled into - these can quickly become your personal clients if you approach them to advertise on your site once they are clear of any obligations to the original affiliate programme.
    Probably not a good idea you try to contact the same companies you have loaded from the affiliate programme with a view to having them ad on your site. It is not ethical, would get you a bad reputation as sooner or later you will be found out. It takes many years to build a reputation and seconds to lose it forever.
    Anybody have any tips for tourism sites I'm all ears - the person who has all the answers has not yet been born.
  17. GDUK

GDUK

I tried Affiliate marketing a few years ago, had limited success but as the OP stated, you need to put in hard work and long hours.

5-10 years ago affiliate marketing was a winner, but with the advent of the cashback sites and major deal finding sites without throwing lots of money at it, I don't know where you get the traffic from. I have seen figures that only 2-5% of your traffic will actually complete a purchase through your link, and if your only getting 2-5% of the final sale value then you need very high traffic to make any kind of decent profit that makes your time worthwhile.
  18. 0754ben84

0754ben84

Fortunes have been made on 2-5% conversion rates.

Also, why promote products that only offer 2-5% commissions when you could promote products that pay as much as 100%, or even pay out as much as $100 when your prospect carries out a specific action (CPA or Cost Per Action Marketing).

You can still make good money online with affiliate marketing in the form of;

blogging
    facebook marketing
    twitter marketing
    email marketing
    etc.

The best affiliates are the ones that offer value first in the form of free information - Take a look at the money saving expert site, that site makes a killing and it's all about HELPING others.

But affiliate marketing doesn't just have to be done online - it can be done offline. I'm testing the old school direct mail approach at the moment and I'm having more success selling high ticket items that I've had online selling low value products.

My point is that Affiliate marketing is STILL an awesome way to to make money!
  19. Rubel Hussen

Rubel Hussen

Affiliate marketing is really best way to promote your business or services. Internet marketing is very necessary to establish a successful firm or business.
  20. GDUK

GDUK

It depends what route you take, mine was in a niche that I was comfortable with, but unfortunately paid peanuts!

If you look on the affiliate forums though most people agree there is a downturn in the sector unless you have big money to splash out from the start.