1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Which eCommerce platform do you use?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by Jblox, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Jblox

Jblox

Hi everyone,

I’m currently doing some research into all of the current ecommerce solutions and trying to determine whether there might be a need for something a little different to what’s currently available, so I would really appreciate some input from anyone that sells online.

If you could answer any or all of the following questions, I would find it really helpful.

1. Which ecommerce platform do you currently use?

2. Which kind of solution do you favor, hosted or open source/custom? Why?

3. Do you sell products through an Amazon or Ebay store? If yes, then do you feel that these platforms allow you to build a brand identity as well as some of the other solutions?

4. If Amazon/Ebay allowed more customisation and allowed you to use a custom domain, would this option be attractive to you?
    Thanks for your time
    Huda likes this.
  2. liamhawes

liamhawes

I use shopify for a couple of my websites and have always been very pleased.
  3. shaununo

shaununo

1 - Cubecart, I like it, easy to use and easy to update to latest versions and easy to install any extra's https://www.cubecart.com/

2 - Self hosting and control of software as I can manage it myself at the moment.

3 - eBay allow you to upload your own logo's to invoices that are printed for customers and to display this on your shop front, so no problems with brand identity really.

4 - Not really, as you should never put all your eggs in one basket
    Ricky3feb likes this.
  4. MailWorkshop.co.uk

MailWorkshop.co.uk

For larger scale online retailers we'd recommend either Brightpearl or Linnworks.
    Linn Systems likes this.
  5. ecom_expert

ecom_expert

I'm using **********************
    And it makes great job for me so far
    I don't like to bother with hosting and tech stuff by myself, that is why I've chosen them
    They migrated all my data from eBay
    And I'm able to manage everything myself, without hiring a webdesigner
  6. night rider

night rider

magento all the way
    Shah2014 likes this.
  7. LSPAUL

LSPAUL

I reccomend using WooCommerce, its very flexible for all types of products, is well documented for making changes, and constantly supported and updated. Woocommerce dont offer hosting, but there are a lot of companies out there who offer woocommerce optimized hosting, handle all updates etc
  8. Blue Annie

Blue Annie

Woocommerce user, but I am not going to recommend it to you. The best thing to do is do what I did initially and trial as many as you can, 10 is not excessive, it is research.
    If you self host you will need to get to grips with cpanel, remember to backup on a daily basis. You will have to fix all the technical problems yourself or get someone reliable to do it for you. I have learnt to do it myself, but if you are not keen on tech to begin with you may struggle. Hosted solutions are not without their headaches as well but at least most of the tech stuff is dealt with by an expert.
    Cody and Huda like this.
  9. dsben

dsben

I didn't realise either of these were an ecommerce platform?
    Luigi24 likes this.
  10. ebafy

ebafy

Depending on your budget, time and skill set:

Magento - possible the most scalable ecommerce platform used by some of the big online players however you need time and patience to tame the beast. Magento has been around for a long time now and was recently sold off by eBay to a private equity firm. It's resource heavy so a good cloud based host is essential and can be plugged directly into other marketplaces if you sell on eBay and Amazon.

Woocommerce - great all rounder with a focus on fashion, not as resource heavy as Magento and quite easy to manage. Plug-ins and modules can be swiftly installed that should fit most business models. Relatively cheap to get started but lacks ecommerce scalability, after all, this is built on the back of a blogging application, commonly known as Wordpress.

I hope that helps.

James
  11. teezee22

teezee22

Between woocommerce ans shopify which would you recommend
  12. teezee22

teezee22

@jamesmain Thank you. I dont have much knowledge on ecommerce but want to open an online shop selling hair products. Thank you for that information. I think i am going to start off with shopify till i get a hang on what i am doing
  13. Marek Bober

Marek Bober Banned Member

Are you interested in simple design line *********************************** or something more complicated- into hair wholesale. All aproaches have props and cons- simplicity works for one product- you have to drive sales like beat headphones, special product line etc. Much more complex is relevant to wider range of products.

Regarding scalability I would not go for anything which in a long run can limit your grow- sooner or later you will face reality of replatforming due missing functionalities, scalability.
  14. teezee22

teezee22

15. Marek Bober

Marek Bober Banned Member

Magento is a bit like marriage, wedding is expensive, keeping it happy and working getting even more expensive than you have no money for divorce...
    psxgamer likes this.
  16. psxgamer

psxgamer

LOL :)
    night rider likes this.
  17. JeffNevil

JeffNevil

1. I currently use Drupal for our commerce need
    2. We have a hosted solution. Actually, the same company that provides our Drupal services also hosts for us: https://www.isos.com/services/web-development/e-commerce-websites
    3. Our products are sold on eBay too, but they are not sold under our brand so we aren't really developing it further on these platforms
    4. I think that would be a great idea, it would actually probably encourage us to push our brand further on these platforms
  18. John Nelson

John Nelson

1. I have been using Magento for almost 5 years.
    2. I favor the hosted solution, which is called Magento Enterprise. I love how it is more reliable and wonderfully customizable.
    3. No, I have never really considered it.
    4. Since I am completely satisfied with Magento, I never considered Amazon or Ebay.
  19. MarkHenry

MarkHenry

Still, shopify is the best for me.
  20. PriyankSavani99

PriyankSavani99

Hello all,
    I prefer the Shopify, as it is the best eCommerce platform available in the market. Shopify allows creating a website, themes and various Shopify apps.