1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Which eCommerce platform do you use?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by Jblox, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ukclearance

ukclearance

I used thirtybees.com its a fork of Prestashop version 1.6
    Both are open source platforms and free (although you might need paid add on modules) to get some functionality above the standard install depending on your requirements.

I ran it on a fairly low spec server and it was able to cope with thousands of unique hits per day with no slowdown.

I know others like Wootcommerce but I dont like how it runs on top of wordpress, as Wordpress is primarily a blogging platform so your running a lot of unneeded code for a online store, and the more code the more chance of vulnerabilities and this could ultimately make your store insecure and possibly get hacked. And Wordpress doesn't have a great reputation for well written code.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. Aron Kenyon

Aron Kenyon

1. Think Shopify is by far the best for customisation for newer businesses. With themes & Apps.
    2. Hosted
    3. Always found eBay Amazon more trouble than they are worth.
    4. Potentially
  3. Aron Kenyon

Aron Kenyon

Shopify for me is the better of the two. The potential of customization and plugins make it a far great option.
  4. Aron Kenyon

Aron Kenyon

Think shopify is the best for small businesses and starts ups the plugs and customization make it very easy to build a functional site that also looks good very easily.
  5. jeniffer

jeniffer

I prefer Magento
  6. Lilysun

Lilysun

I think Shopify is second to none. I have been using it for about a year now and there are no complaints.
  7. Jason Dao

Jason Dao

I'm using Shopify eCommerce. Maybe it's not the best platform of all but I think it's suitable for my budget and requirements
  8. leminh0709

leminh0709

Hey guys,

I've been currently used Shopify as my main e-commerce platform. It's efficient, it's great, it's varied in apps and themes. Also, for my favorite Shopify app, it will be Spify Lookbook. Why? Because this apps is a magical tool to create multiple image collections for your products basing on the images you upload. This Shopify app helps you boost sales and increase your NET profit. And most importantly, it's completely free! Using Shopify is great, isn't it?

If you want to check it out, here: Spify Lookbook
  9. Currencies Direct

Currencies Direct

Hi Liam,

We are keen to provide our services (Foreign Exchange) to you/your network in regards to international transactions/receiving sales proceeds as we have helped various corporate firms & individual sellers increase share of wallet whilst lowering net costs/currency conversion costs - especially those with an international exposure.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Regards,
    Rishi.

T +44 (0) 207 847 9269 Ext: 1232
    F +44 (0) 207 847 9291
    E
    (Email Hidden for Privacy)
    W www.currenciesdirect.com
  10. Currencies Direct

Currencies Direct

Hi,

We are keen to provide our services (Foreign Exchange) to you/your network in regards to receiving sales proceeds/making supplier payments as we have helped various corporate firms & individual sellers increase share of wallet whilst lowering net costs/currency conversion costs - especially those with an international exposure.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Regards,
    Rishi.

T +44 (0) 207 847 9269 Ext: 1232
    F +44 (0) 207 847 9291
    E
    (Email Hidden for Privacy)
    W www.currenciesdirect.com
  11. Cheapshop

Cheapshop

I prefer Shopify.
  12. Shang Geor

Shang Geor

I have two website.
    Old one: happyprom.co.uk is established by Zencart, it is free, but not enough for SEO.
    New one is Shopify, it is easy to use and perfect for newbie. some module may cost money.
  13. Hitesh A

Hitesh A

1. Which ecommerce platform do you currently use- I use Amazon and Ebay both. At times I use Dealsdirect.com.au as I am based in Australia
    2. Which kind of solution do you favor, hosted or open source/custom? Why? - Open Source works well for me. Custom, not so sure at the moment as it ties me up with one website and can be costly. open to options though

3. Do you sell products through an Amazon or Ebay store? If yes, then do you feel that these platforms allow you to build a brand identity as well as some of the other solutions?- Yes, Amazon and eBay both. Although Amazon is slightly complicated, I find its services and quality of high standards.

4. If Amazon/eBay allowed more customisation and allowed you to use a custom domain, would this option be attractive to you?- Customisation is always appreciated, but I am vary of the long term consequences. Customisation offerers provide economical options to get started but raise the prices once you get settled in and scale up your business
    Thanks for your time[/QUOTE]
  14. Helen

Helen

It's interesting - at our talks... if you ask people for a show of hands at SME talks for what online sales tools they use (I try to do at the beginning to understand who they are):-

- America: 90% through own platform via Shopify/Woo Commerce & wordpress/Squarespace; 20% eBay; 30% Amazon
    - UK: 60% own platform; 60% eBay; 70% Amazon
  15. JJsHouse

JJsHouse

Wordpress and open cart is also best but not for free ..... If you will invest some small money in plugins then you can get best result than ever with these two open source.
  16. AshleyH

AshleyH

A lot of good responses here. Only thing I would add is it depends a lot on the type of site you are looking to run. if you are selling direct to consumers only then most will do. If you also want to have a page for wholesale so you can sell to retailers then you need advanced functionality which Shopify (via their Handshake acquisition) does a decent job.

=================
    mod edit: advertising
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
  17. geturkart

geturkart

There was a time when people used to do coding and hired a web designer to build an E-commerce website but now the time has been changed there are lots of E-commerce platforms that help to built an E-commerce store without any coding and designing. These E-commerce platforms provide everything you need to start an E-commerce website as they are professional they know what you need to build a professional E-commerce website.

There are lots of platforms available in the market like Shopify, eBay, WooCommerce, and much more. Every E-commerce Platform has its own feature so as an E-commerce Service provider we would suggest you to check out the feature of each and every E-commerce platform and check whether the platform suits your requirements or not

Points you should look out while selecting the Online Store Platform:

• Easy to shop Setup: Look for a platform that is easy to set up and easy to design.
    • Easy to navigate: No one likes the website where it’s difficult to find the navigate option so always go for the platform providing easy navigate option
    • SEO friendly: You want to ensure that your online store ranks high in search results, especially if you’re a new eCommerce store or a small online shop. To do this, look for an eCommerce platform that’s SEO-friendly
    • Payment Gateway: Payment Gateway should be safe, fast, and secure if they aren’t customers won’t going to pay you.
    • Charges: After checking all the above points now check the charges, How much do the Platform charge. Make your budget accordingly, if you are new then don’t go for the expensive platforms

If you are looking for any guidance and looking for any help then feel free to contact us. We are an E-commerce service provider and helps the one who wants to set up an E-Commerce store.
    * Mod edit: link removed*
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2020