1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Wholesale: Do you pay UK VAT if purchased abroad and company based abroad?

Discussion in 'Online Marketplaces - eBay, Amazon, Etsy and more' started by clothesfashion1, Apr 28, 2020.

1. clothesfashion1

clothesfashion1

Hi there I have come onto here to seek advice on the legality of setting up a wholesale business abroad in Cyprus simply for a fairer corporate tax rate. As far as I'm aware UK and Cyprus have a double tax treaty agreement so I assume tax isn't doubled.

I plan to set up shop in Cyprus and import from china. I will pay all my VAT etc here in the UK for my imported goods however if I am selling online on a .com website based in uk and sell on UK eBay is it legal to pay tax only in Cyprus?

I was going to speak to my accountant about this but proves difficult at this time.
  2. clothesfashion1

clothesfashion1

Is this the appropriate place to post?
  3. Jed

Jed

You will need to pay VAT on sales within the UK at the UK VAT rate for the item, however your company profits will remain within the Cyprus company, so you would only pay corp tax at the Cypriot rate to the Cyprus government (whatever that may be).

The difficulty with this type of setup is when it comes to repatriating business funds, as you need to be very careful you pay any relevant taxes at this point. The cheapest way is usually via a dividend payment to yourself.