1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Worcestershire Regulatory Services (Trading Standards)

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by Ripster, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ripster

Ripster

Hi guys

Just need some advice about a situation I am in at the moment.

I have recently been contacted (by e-mail from a .gov.uk address) about someone claiming to be from the Worcestershire Regulatory Services (Trading Standards) and have said a product I am selling may potentially be unsafe.

It is a UK plug adapter and said it may not meet British standards. They first asked how many I have, where I get them from (Outside/Inside EU) and if they could come and inspect them.

I have sent a few e-mails back and done a background check however my dad (who has owned his own business for 20+ years) has told me if this was genuine/government then they would send a letter not e-mail me.

They have been trying to arrange a meeting to inspect these items but when I asked them to send me a letter - with a gov letter head, they said it it is only an informal chat and they don't do letters for this type of enquirey.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on this? Is it a legal requirement? My dad said that it could be someone just trying to see my stock/get supplier info...

Thanks

James
  2. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

don't sound real - Dad is correct, they'd write

just don't see what anyone would gain from sending you this email, unless its competitor trying to shake you up. Try ringing them. What is the last half of the email address ?

is it worcsregservices.gov.uk ?
  3. Ripster

Ripster

The last half of the address is worcsregservices.gov.uk - I also read an article that a new funded system was put in place for online dealers the start of June which I says on there website.
  4. Odds & Sods

Odds & Sods

Hi
    Ask for full name and where they work from office address and see if they then reply if they do it will be easy to do your our checks

this doesn`t sound right to me

( They have been trying to arrange a meeting to inspect these items but when I asked them to send me a letter - with a gov letter head, they said it it is only an informal chat and they don't do letters for this type of enquirey. )
  5. shopafrolix

6. super_touring

super_touring

I would respond, no letter no chat and stop communications.

State that you are aware of scams and that without official documents you would not entertain a meeting.

If they are legit, they will respond positively.
    UKbuyer1 likes this.
  7. Ripster

Ripster

Ok thanks for your help and advise! :)
  8. Dean

Dean

They don't have to send a letter. I had an informal visit from Trading Standards following a spot check they did when I had a stall at a council organised event. The meeting at my office was arranged over the phone - they did not send a letter.

The lady who visited was very nice and took some details of my products away to check a couple of things. Everything turned out acceptable and was confirmed by email. There were no letters at any time.

Get their name and office address. Then look up the official number, phone it and ask them to confirm the person is genuine.
  9. woodford

woodford

if they were legit they would send letter headed letters and would invite you to there offices.

Dont sound right but be aware though that .gov.uk as far as I know are legit addresses, or failing that ring via the councils switchboard.

if that helps.
  10. Import Expert

Import Expert

They will not always send letters (even if you ask them to). I would give the person a call at the trading standards office they are based in (ask for landline number and when they will be in) - that way you can go via main switchboard and just ensure they are genuine.

If you just let them come and inspect anyway they will need formal ID so if they don't have this just don't let them in.
  11. Dean

Dean

Did you not read what I posted above your post?! You are wrong on both accounts.
  12. shopafrolix

phone call or a visit may be OK, but an email, refusing to provide proof ?
  13. Dean

Dean

As I said, I had some communication over email. They are not refusing to provide proof, they are saying that at this stage it's informal. It's 2012 - email is more appropriate than the extra administation required for processing letters!

I don't know why people are second guessing this. I've had the most relevant experience by the looks of it and that tallies with the OP. Just phone up the relevant office and confirm it. Job done.
  14. super_touring

super_touring

I second guess everything and everyone. Until proved otherwise, it is a scam. If I was a legit organisation then I would expect people to be suspicious and provide suitable methods to verify myself, either through a letter or (as you suggest) a verifiable land line.

Look at the people on here who have not performed simple checks with suppliers etc and been scammed out of thousands. Pays to be cautious in my book.

Or maybe I am just one of the tin-foil hat brigade :)
  15. Dean

Dean

I'm not saying it's not a scam but some people need to stop stating false facts on something they clearly know nothing about. TS DO communicate by email, DON'T have to send letters and DON'T necessarily invite you to their office - I know this as fact. Yes it needs checking out and yes the easiest way to do that is to phone the official TS number. Until that has proved/disproved it, anything else other than the facts I have stated is hearsay.
  16. love-clothes

love-clothes

the plugs, iphone chargers etc were on their hot list recently.
    it was highlighted on a few programmes how they sometimes don't even have a fuse in them! etc etc
  17. Ripster

Ripster

Yer it is only the one item they have asked to check.

I really appreciate you comments and will give them a call on the number I have - which I got myself and not from the e-mail - just in case. If they can confirm everything then it should be ok.
  18. Ripster

Ripster

Hi Guys

Just to update on this if anyone else is in a similar position. I called a number I found for them and confirmed a date and time for them to come around.

They turned up with ID which I checked and were there for about 10 minutes just having an informal chat with me about UK regulations and British Standards etc... They wanted to know if I sold similar items - which I dont so I said no.

They then asked to inspect the item in question and took it with them leaving a receipt. I was happy to do this as it was a low cost item.

Since then they have contacted me letting me know if what I was selling was abiding by British Standards.

Hope this has helped anyone else in this position.
    Lace and Import Expert like this.
  19. Gary

Gary

Thanks for the update, this will help for clarification purposes should anyone else be found in a similar situation.