Wordpress - Local install or hosted?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Dean, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean

I've never used Wordpress but looking it to use for a small 2/3 page website with a blog and forum attached to it.

Is it better to install Wordpress to our server or use the Wordpress hosted option?

Any experiences of either or both out there?
  2. Jed

Jed

Being a technical idiot with this stuff I don't really know the difference between the two.

However I would've thought you'd have far more control if it were to be hosted on your servers rather than theirs?
  3. Dean

Dean

That was my initial thought but then I considered it may be easier to keep up to date with releases if they are hosting it. My only reluctance is if them hosting it is worse from a linking your own domain name and SEO point of view.
  4. liamhawes

liamhawes

At the moment my wordpress site is hosted with 123reg and for some reason i'm getting like a 2 second delay their server side which makes my site take an annoyingly long amount of time to load. So you could avoid this time of problem I imagine.
  5. Gary

Gary

Hosting yourself is also better depending on how much you want to customise it from what I have read (which makes sense).

I have not used WordPress for years but will be building a new site myself soon using it and will be hosting it myself.
  6. Ross

Ross

Definitely host it yourself.

You are very limited if you use the Wordpress hosted option. You can't install any plugins, no access to customise and if i remember correctly you only get a limited amount of storage space (3GB) before they start charging you a monthly fee.
  7. psxgamer

psxgamer

8. Dean

Dean

Thanks guys. Self hosting it is then!
  9. LSPAUL

LSPAUL

I would definitely host it yourself, as you can generally get away with a lot more themes, customizations and it's usually cheaper.

Wordpress can run slow on some hosts, I would suggest either running Jetpack or signing up for the free plan at cloudflare and enable caching, it will make a huge and noticeable difference
  10. andy1702

andy1702

Definitely host it yourself if you have a server already. If you don't have a server or the relevant bandwidth to deal with what will hopefully be lots of connections, then use a hosting provider that offers unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage space for your site (the forum could get very big very quick if people post photos). I use Arvixe.com to host my site then use 123reg.com to forward various domain names to it. This way Arvixe can't hold my known domain name hostage at renewal time by suddenly putting their prices up.

The beauty of hosting wordpress yourself is you don't have to implement any update if you don't want to. I hear a recent update had a fairly significant bug, so it's always best to hang back for a few weeks to make sure a new version performs ok before you commit to it.

I definitely wouldn't allow wordpress.com to host my site because, as others have said, you have very limited access to the back end and would find it near impossible to customise your site in any way.
  11. Your Business Community

Your Business Community

Hosting it on your own server or hosting package is far more versatile.

However, you do need to get to grips with security, but there are plenty of free resources to help you.