1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Working from home - what insurance do I need?

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by Pulse MX, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Pulse MX

Pulse MX

:( Hi everyone, sorry if this question has been asked before but I need some advice on working from home...
    I run an online retail business selling motocross (dirt bike) clothing.
    My range includes helmets, goggles, jerseys, pants, gloves, socks & boots.
    My stock cost me £30k to buy, and is currently stored in my garage.
    I informed my existing home insurer about my business activities and they told me I was not covered on my existing domestic house policy to carry out this activity from home and they immediately cancelled my home insurance policy...!
    I am therefore currently not insured for my home or my business stock.
    Can anyone recommend a good insurer who can insure me for my home and my business activity..?
    I simply need a domestic policy that covers the usual perils...fire, flood etc...and a business policy to cover my stock.
    I do not employ anyone, I do not have customers visiting my home, we purely trade online.
    Any advice would be appreciated

J.O.
    VictoriaXx likes this.
  2. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

3. fd.ltd.uk

fd.ltd.uk

Insurers are jumpy these days and anything that is not routine leads them to reject you. Unfortunately you will probably have to declare that you have had a policy terminated so it may be a good idea to ask the insurers who dumped you to reconsider or at least chaneg the circumstances so you have terminated it and not them.
  4. Gary

Gary

As above, there is a very fine line between uninsured and uninsurable, and your insurance being terminated by your previous insurer will already deem you as too 'high risk' for many potential future insurers, could you not separate off the insurances in some way, maybe registering the garage as a business premises and insuring it as it's own entity then seeking insurance just on the house? Not sure if that would be possible, if not, then it may be better to just look for alternate storage for your stock so you can be insured on both.
  5. Dean

Dean

6. Richard hughes

Richard hughes

Hi J.O.

That is the trouble with the "bucket shop" insurers. If you don't fit their model they reject you. There are insurers that will pick this up for you. You need to speak to a broker who can do the shopping around for you and is able to present your case in the best light. Having a policy cancelled is on the face of it but not too much of an issue once you explain the reason for it (unless it is one of the "bucket shop" insurers that just want you to fit their model. Depending on your sums insured Hiscox are very accommodating. They are not the cheapest but there service is second to none.

Give me a shout if you want some help with it and you don't have a local broker.

Richard
  7. Mitch

Mitch

I use hiscox insurance and have never had a problem.

Was quite expensive compared to other quotes I got but their wording is very simple and clearly outline what and what is not covered, I found some insurers making it very difficult to understand what they actually cover under what circumstances