1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

www.dvdhitshop.com and www.dvd5movies.com AVOID

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by Anthony, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony

Anthony

Just wanted to make members aware that both of these sites sell fake DVDs known as DVD9 movies. They advertise them as Region 0 which means they have no region code. Region 0 DVDs are not illegal however, blockbusters and new releases are not produced without a region code.

They are based in asia somewhere.

Highly illegal to sell and to buy!

Avoid both of these sites at all costs, and buy the real thing from UK/USA wholesalers!

Hope this helps people and if anybody has any comments to add please do! :)

Added 18/07/2005;

www.cheapdvdbuys.com is also a site selling fake dvds to stay away from!
  2. guru4us

guru4us

Hey Antony, what about a DVD buying guide? ;)
  3. MustHaveMobiles

MustHaveMobiles Community Moderator

See a film you like, make sure it plays on your player, find the cheapest price and buy it!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
  4. Anthony

Anthony

But buying copies is still illegal and these DVDs sold by both of these organisations are the exact ones that got these people in trouble;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4640439.stm

Trust me people you don't want to get involved with this type of piracy....

I prefer the statement;

See a film you like, make sure it plays on your player, find a legitmate seller and buy it! Followed by sleep well from knowing I haven't bought illegal bootlegs and haven't scammed hard working people like SCT out of sales !

Sorry couldn't resist replying mike :p
  5. Anthony

Anthony

6. guru4us

guru4us

whoops..sorry antony. i'll remove the thread i created. :( i didnt realise
  7. feedthegoat

feedthegoat

It is NOT illegal to buy!

Hi folks!

Just to put the record straight here. Although i dont agree with the sale and distribution of fake dvds etc... i have to tell you that it is false information to say that it is illegal to sell and buy them.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO BUY THEM. It is only illegal to sell/make profit from them.

example-

If you go to one of these websites selling them and you purchased 10 dvds and simply put them in your own collection for personal viewing then you are doing nothing wrong according to our trading standards and laws.

If you buy 10 dvds, then decide to sell them on a car boot/ebay etc... then THIS IS ILLEGAL.

feedthegoat
  8. Anthony

Anthony

ehh....

So it is ok to buy these illegal items but not to sell them...? I don't think so...

It is illegal whatever you do.. if you are found with items like this do you think the police would just..ah yeh thats fine mate..you go ahead buy as many as like..

People have been fined for buying items like this...simply because what you are buying is in effect an imitation of the real thing and depriving the real producers of sales revenue.

These DVDs are copies...so they have exactly the same laws as buying a dvd and then copying it and then selling it on..if you don't own the original it is not even thinkable to copy a DVD.

Look forward to your comments...feedthegoat..
  9. feedthegoat

feedthegoat

its not ok!

I am not saying its ok to buy them and i dont buy them myself.

If police found a few at your house and there is no evidence of them being there for future sale (i.e multiple copies etc...) and no evidence of manufacture (i.e multiple dvd copy drives etc..) they could seize them or more likely its not worth the paperwork and just leave it or ask you where you got them from.

It is illegal to:-
    a) apply another person's registered trade mark or something likely to be mistaken for a trade mark to goods or packaging, or
    b) infringe copyright by copying a copyright work without the authorisation or licence of the trade mark or copyright owner, or
    c) apply any other indication to goods or packaging likely to mislead as to the identity of the manufacturer or producer

It is the responsibility of the trader to take all reasonable precautions to avoid having counterfeit products for sale on his premises. Contravention may result in prosecution for offences under the Trade Descriptions Act, Trade Marks Act or Copyright, Design and Patents Act. Fines of up to £5,000 can be imposed in the Magistrates Court and/or imprisonment for up to six months. Unlimited fines may be imposed by the Crown Court with up to ten years imprisonment for trade marks offences. Forfeiture and destruction of all goods seized may be ordered by the Courts.
  10. Anthony

Anthony

The fact still remains that both companies listed above sell illegal items that shouldn't be purchased by anybody.

What you are saying doesn't make sense...

To infringe on copyright or copy a copyright work without authorisation or licence is illegal..which is exactly what they companies are doing. They are copying items that haven't even been released in cinemas accross the world and distributing them.

As I have said before it doesn't matter whether you are buying or selling, in effect if you buy these dvds you are infringing on the laws and would be treated as such.

What you are saying is that it is alright for people to have films in their possesion that aren't even in theatrical release in specific countries....Furthermore for people having such films in their possesion they are highly unlikely to go to the cinema and watch the films when they have it on cd...

I still don't even know why you are even challenging this thread... :\

Your statements seem to say that it is ok for people to buy these DVDs...which is completely the wrong message that I and I would have thought others on this forum want to be published....
  11. MustHaveMobiles

MustHaveMobiles Community Moderator

If police find pirated material then they are within the law to confiscate it which may inturn lead to some form of prosecution either from the police or from other governing bodies, such as FACT(if they are still called that).

Whatever the legal stand point, its the buying of copied material that means that there is a market for the pirates so by buying copies then this just perpetuates(sp?) the process and morally you are providing a demand that someone will supply.

A lot of people just think with their wallet, which is understandable, and unfortunately get caught up with these idiots. However, there are people that make a conscious effort to only buy copies/download off the net etc and this fuels the market.

There is a distinction between the two but the bottom line is that copies ruin the (any) industry, I know people will shout that they can afford it but if you had a business and someone started to rip your products or ideas would your view point change when it was costing YOU money???

Personally I hope the law changes so that owning a copy of anything becomes a criminal offence, punishable by whatever means the courts see fit. An extreme view but I am a business man and can understand that losing revenue is important to ANY business no matter how successful.

These so called businesses that can afford to be ripped off, employ people and send work to maufacturers etc and the long term reach/scope of them losing money can seriously affect the life of someone else etc etc.

I am not preaching but I have my views and as you are aware I am not afraid to say my thoughts, would suggest a new off topic thread though if we are going to continue the discussion.
  12. karlitosway

karlitosway

Irish law

As a cop I can tell you that it IS illegal to own pirates but in reality you will rarely face prosecution unless your buying a lot. Customs can also confiscate pirates on entry to the country.
    What customs usually do is send you a letter giving you a warning and letting you know that you will be prosecuted if A, you do it again and/or B, make an application to get the DVD's back.

Sorry to burst bubbles guys but having a stolen or pirated item in your posession is 'handling stolen/illegal items' Under the Criminal justive (theft and fraud offences) Act 2001. not sure which section, think its 12.
  13. Anthony

Anthony

Wow..we have a policeman on here... great stuff! :D

Thank You for clearing that up for us... re-assures me that what I have said is correct :)
  14. spotlightdvd

spotlightdvd

1 person likes this.
  15. double_d77

double_d77 Retired Moderator

Good article Jon, very imformative thanks!!

Dave
  16. spotlightdvd

spotlightdvd

Thanks Dave, glad it was helpful :)
  17. tantk

tantk

Why would anyone want to buy fakes when the quality are so poor. Here in thailand, there

are alot of fakes. Most have started to realise this and are slowly switching to buying

originals.
  18. Nick-D

Nick-D

some of the ones coming from china are top notch, really cant tell the difference when its in the player
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.